Pages

Thursday, May 1, 2014

Trivial Things that have Changed My Life


Undeniably, living in a first world country in the 21st country can often cause us to act like huge brats.  We get upset when things don't go our way, or when we don't get what we want (hence, the phrase, "first world problems"), and fail to remember that there are so many people out there who don't have it as easy as us.

But don't worry, I'm not getting all heavy and serious with you today.  Although it is always necessary to count your blessings and be thankful for things like clean, running water, a home, and other life essentials, I thought it would be much more fun to tell you some of the trivial things that have changed my life for the better.

Flannel Shirts 

Flannel Shirt with dress and over the knee socks
(Source)
Over-sized flannel shirts are one of my wardrobe must-haves because they look good with EVERYTHING.  Thrown over any type of outfit, a flannel shirt makes you look effortlessly stylish and cool and kinda hipster and cute and you can wear it on your body or tied around your waist and, well, I just don't know what I would do without it.  It is literally my go-to piece.

Kale


Panfried Kale by Ree Drummond / The Pioneer Woman, via Flickr
(Source)
Did you know that kale is a super food??  You can't go wrong with adding more of it to your diet!  Find this image and some recipes here.

Okay, maybe this isn't exactly "trivial", seeing as kale has a thousand health benefits, but it has definitely changed my life.  In addition to having tons of vitamins, preventing certain cancer risks, and being a detox food, kale is delicious!  It may have a bitter, acquired taste for some people, but it can be included in sandwiches, salads, smoothies, and eaten raw, cooked, or baked...kale chips anyone? 

Pinterest


If it was possible to live inside Pinterest, I would move in a heartbeat.  I often call it a classier version of Tumblr (no offense to Tumblr users of course, I love Tumblr as well!).  Both have the same idea posting photos and quotes on your profile, but Pinterest is more organized, and can be used as an inspiration and aspiration board: you can "pin" quotes and photos that inspire you, but also create Pinboards that help you plan the type of life you want to live in the future (not to mention the amazing recipes I find on this website that turn out perfectly and make me feel like a top chef).

Liquid Eyeliner


Yes
(Source)
Amazing eyes
(Source)
Ah, liquid eyeliner.  My mother actually gave me my first tube (is that what it's called? who knows) a few years ago when she found it too frustrating to perfect the technique herself.  And I am so thankful she did.  A normal pencil eyeliner provides more of a natural, everyday look, but liquid eyeliner does a great job at accentuating the eyes, and making your makeup look absolutely gorgeous.  Although it takes practice to steady your hand when applying this magical product, I think most girls can agree that when you're in the zone, and create two perfect wings with a good liquid eyeliner, you feel invincible.    

My cellphone as a TV remote


Being able to use my cellphone as a TV remote is one of the millions of things I love about it!
I don't know if an *cough* iPhone user can do this without having to downloading an app, but my cellphone acting as a remote control has saved me so much time searching for the actual TV remote between couch cushions or under my bed's comforters.  It can hook up to any TV, change the channel, adjust the volume, and more.  My phone can also tell me which of my favourite shows are on at any moment, as well as the channel and episode.  But iPhones are cool too!!! Ha. 

Frozen Yogurt


Coffee frozen yogurt
(Source)
(Source)
I knew I was in love with frozen yogurt when I finished the 2L tub in less than a week (don't judge me).  I don't know if it is the fact that it tastes good with any topping, or that I'm justified by it being somewhat healthier than ice cream, but regardless, any flavour of frozen yogurt has my heart.

Pulled Pork


How delicious does this look?! (Source)
At first, I didn't understand all the hype around pulled pork, but eventually something clicked, and I've been in love ever since.  There is just something about braised pork smothered in delicious barbecue sauce, and served between two warm slices of bread or hamburger buns.  And if you haven't tried it, please do yourself the favour and get on that ASAP.

The subway


It may look dark and gross, but the subway is so convenient that you won't even mind. 
I know that many people have problems with this underground form of transportation being dirty, smelly, and unreliable.  However, coming from a city where the transit could arrive in 20 minutes or 40 minutes (or not at all...don't get me started), the subway arriving every two minutes is just heaven sent.  It is also a great place to people watch, and come in contact with a lot of different human beings (unless you hate coming into contact with human beings, because then I don't know what to tell you).

Smoothies


I am obsessed with green juice and will be posting my favourite recipe very soon! 
Strawberries and Cream Smoothie (vegan, GF) - Like a strawberry milkshake but healthier! Sweet, creamy & satisfying!
Find this photo (and the recipe) here
Even though I am not Catholic, during Lent, I decided to give up sugary drinks.  During this time, I relied on natural smoothies to get me through the 40 days.  And let me tell you, smoothies are wonderful.  With yummy fruits and vegetables and a little bit of milk, yogurt, or water, there is absolutely no need to include sugar.  Homemade smoothies are also a great way to sneak those fruits and veggies into your daily diet, especially if you are not a fan of eating them raw.  

YouTube
Casually writing this post while also watching one of my favourite beauty gurus, Meghan Rienks on YouTube.  Check her out!
If you know me or follow me on Twitter, you would know how much I love YouTube.  There is no shortage of entertainment on this website, whether it be funny tags and challenges, beauty or hair tutorials, vlogs, and of course, music.  I can honestly say I watch more videos on YouTube than shows on the television, and that I've learned (and laughed!) more as well.  Not to mention that I embarrassingly consider my favourite YouTubers my friends (I mean, they have tweeted me).


And there you have it, some of the superficial things that have changed my life.  My advice to you is that the next time you get angry over first world problems, you think about all the first world solutions that have made you a much happier camper.


What trivial things have changed your life?


Don't forget to follow me on Twitter, Instagram, and Pinterest.  Have a fantastic week!

No comments:

Post a Comment